The areas and topics highlighted offer a snapshot of just some of the demands facing board members. These are explored further in the Leadership Foundation Governors' Briefing Notes together with the publication Getting to Grips with Being a New Governor.
Challenges in Higher Education
- Higher Education funding and risks
- Changing governent policy
- Shifts in regulation
- Smaller boards - intense commitment
- Preparation and attendance at meetings plus...
- Commitment to learning 'on the job'
- Team player
- Knowledge of your university
- Being a critical friend
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Constitutional obligations and governance codes
- Funding council expectations
- Legal and charitable duties
- Adherance to the Nolan rules
- Avoidance of conflicts of interest
Developing Competencies and Skills
- Taking a holistic view
- Challenging the vice-chancellor or executive view
- Building on an existing or specialist experience
- Being an articulate communicator
- Assimilating complex information